Tuesday 5 August 2014

1 Poem by Amit Parmessur

The Elements and I

My mother says the sweet sun
belongs only to the one
who smiles at the first ray;
I am African, addicted to virgin light
yet I have to face the blackness
of jealous and evil people.

My mother says the fresh rain
belongs only to the one
who loves the sound of water;
I am African, adoring even
the flow of dirty rivers.
Yet, I have to live in the drought
of man-made politeness.

My mother says the rich soil
belongs only to the one
who smells the poetry of flowers;
I am African, so down-to-earth,
understanding even the notorious
yet I am still waiting in
deserts of thorny and dusty phalli.

Father says the silky clouds
belong only to those
who dream to fly, like himself.
I have always felt I am a butterfly,
(or some valiant phoenix) yet
I have to sob in cheap, broken planes.

Bionote

Amit Parmessur’s poetry has appeared in more than 120 literary magazines, including Ann Arbor Review, Salt, Black-Listed Magazine, Kalkion and Red Fez. He is nominated for the Pushcart Award and Best of the Web. Hailing from Mauritius, with Indian roots, he currently edits The Rainbow Journal and also writes in Creole. Sometimes he just wants to give it up all and become a billionaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment