Wednesday 5 February 2014

1 Poem by David Francis

ONE DAY IN A NEW YEAR

The camel's back broken,
I climbed down and went
off on the hot sand.
I tossed my rucksack
into a dried well.
I felt lighter
with fresh regret.

Some hours later,
the winds blearing my eyes,
I thought I wanted to
turn back--but to where?
I sank, plodded
doggedly forward.

That poor animal
surrounded by flies...
my companion now
a sole vulture
high above the heat,
gray in the yellowness,

hanging aloof
from that one swirling
nauseating thought--

amazing how cold
the desert gets at night.


Bionote

David Francis has produced three albums of songs, one of poems, ALWAYS/FAR, a chapbook of lyrics and drawings, and the film "Village Folksinger."  His poems and stories have appeared in a number of US and UK magazines.  http://www.davidfrancismusic.com <davidfrancis12string@usa.net>

No comments:

Post a Comment