Sunday 5 May 2013

3 Poems by Wendy Chin-Tanner

1.

On the beach where they played the shell game,
 my eyes looked out to sea.

Walking, forgetful of last steps over broken sand,
I wished then

to know nothing, wanting only to fuse
with the fog rolling in, to reach

the city of light shining, surely,
over the horizon.


2.

I had fallen in love with the water
and after years of fighting

its rough salty waves, I was washed ashore,
raving, tumbling

over and over myself like sea glass,
head over ass.


3.

My pockets are empty.
I have let go of all I have known

to stand here, to look both ways
before crossing.


Bionote

Wendy Chin-Tanner is the author of "Turn," a poetry collection forthcoming from Sibling Rivalry Press in March, 2014. Her poetry has appeared in a variety of journals including The Mays Anthology of Oxford and Cambridge, The Saint Ann's Review, and The Raintown Review. Wendy is a founding editor at Kin Poetry Journal, a poetry editor at Stealing Time Magazine and The Nervous Breakdown, a staff interviewer at Lantern Review, and an online sociology instructor at Cambridge University, UK. She lives in Portland, OR with her husband, graphic novelist Tyler Chin-Tanner and their daughter Maddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment