Sunday 5 May 2019

5 Poems by Allen Qing Yuan

Banana* Blues: For Langston Hughes


I’m bluer than blue
A branch thicker than the root
A banana unlike any other fruit

But my growth has been severed and burned

Like a scale with weight it cannot measure
The music of my white soul
Is melancholy, oppressed
Singing without words
Confined within black bars

I’m bluer than blue
A composer without compositions
A conductor without a baton
To even guide himself

The song beats away as
I’m singing my blues

*American/British/Canadian born Chinese (ABC/BBC/CBC's) are often referred to as 'bananas' because they are yellow-skinned but 'white-hearted.'



*

Wondering When My Life Began

The instant? an infinitesimal sperm from my father?
Penetrated into my mother’s egg? on a dark ? night

The second? my little head ? was pushed and pulled
Right? Out of my mother’s teenager? womb?

Or the minute? I hit a brick? broke my forehead
And thus got my first scar? (memory?)

With? no awareness of any earlier? childhood
When? or where? did my life? begin on earth?


Immortality

No,    I don’t want    to live foreverish, nor      do I
Care     to attain permanence    through a few lines
Of English words,        but just download         my
       

Self-consciousness      into     a chip,      or

Upload            it onto a file, and I can grow    into
An integrated part       of the      universe (until all
Is         sucked someday      into     the singularity)
To        explode in another           big bang


Basic Punctuation Marks

, before any utterances from God
. behind the human reality in the moment
? after each sentence written in history
! at the end of every show of nature


Two Mnemonic Poems

1/ Coordinative Conjunctions: Fanboys

For                  all the hills or mountains
And                 rivers you have seen in your life
Neither            of the two kinds is really beautiful on its own
But                  when a river embraces a mountain
Or                    the other way around, they become a holy view
Yet                  you can never see it with your naked eyes
So                    try to connect with fanboys in a run-on sentence

2/ Lakes in North America: Homes

Huron is your residence, while
Ontario is mine. Once you sail cross
Michigan, you will be able to join the waters of
    Erie, where your spirits will evaporate even higher than
Superior, the hub of all streams, rivers and watery dreams


Bionote

Allen Qing Yuan, author of Traffic Light, is a 2-time Pushcart and 2-time Best of the Net nominee. A co-editor of Poetry Pacific, Allen is graduating from the University of British Columbia. Since grade 10, Allen has had poetry appear in more than 70 literary publications across 16 countries, which include Cordite Poetry Review, Literary Review of Canada, Poetry Scotland, Shampoo and Spillway.

No comments:

Post a Comment