Sunday 5 May 2019

5 Poems by James Piatt

A Sonnet of Thoughts & Dreams
(Previously Published by Fourth & Sycamore)

In the garden where I often dream,

And watch sparrow hawks flit and fly

Far above my beloved dog’s sigh;

Feelings from the verdant hills do teem

Into my questioning mind, so unforeseen:

And, over the dark loam, so soft and dry,

White clouds scud quickly high up in the sky,

While bees dart swiftly to a flowery dream:

My happy feelings persist and wander

To and fro, from thought to thought,

Finally arriving, upon some distant shore:     

My searching mind has but to ponder,

The happy feelings that are brought,

From garden images and forgotten lore.


Old Memories

Drop of brackish water from a falling leaf,

a darkened cloud filled with wringing grief,

a ghost’s harsh and wailing moan,

a fallen log, a philosopher’s stone,

an oil tablecloth with pieces of broken glass,

an old melted candle sitting in tarnished brass,

a cold cup of bitter tea,

a wounded whale swimming in the open sea,

a mourner walking behind a pine coffin,

all awakened in memories far too often.



Soothing Songs
(Previously published by JOEY)

In a daffodil tinted twilight,

The soothing songs of

Downy birds as calm as a

Dream suspended in a

Misty atmosphere, creates

Memories in my mind that

Cover the strident hours of a

Harsh day.



The White Stone

Dark winds curled around eternity

as I neared a forked trail in the woods

where I found a white stone on the

side. I placed it into the hand of a

beautiful lady, which I saw in one of

my uncommon dreams.


I was halfway into the tunnel of lost

dreams when my steps lead me to

memories of the untranslatable past

where the aroma of herbs and red

roses climbed up stairs to where the

lady was smiling and painting

metaphors on the white stone.



My Sweet Love

The sea’s roaring waves come and go,

Containing dreams from inside my soul,

Like a happy memory flitting in the air,

Floating down a hallway and up a stair:


I sat across from a soft voice so low,

She was someone I loved; I was her beau,

My mind quickly opened when she smiled,

Her loving countenance softly beguiled:


Then suddenly in a trice her image disappeared,

Leaving me with sadness and salty tears.

She is but a stored memory, a glimmer now,

A beautiful being with whom I made a vow:


She is that beautiful girl I once embraced,

Years ago when time and space interlaced,

Her auburn hair became a lovely shade of grey,

Her beautiful face was open soft, and gay.


Bionote

James has had several poems nominated for both Pushcart and Best of Web awards, and his poems have been published in the last four of the The 100 Best Poems Anthologies. He has won several poetry awards, and was interviewed as a featured poet in numerous magazines. He has had three poetry books: “The Silent Pond” (2012), “Ancient Rhythms” (2014), and “Light” (2016), four novels, 35 short stories and over 1100 poems published in over 205 different magazine, anthologies, and poetry books. He earned his BS and MA from California State Polytechnic University, and his doctorate from BYU.

No comments:

Post a Comment