Saturday 5 November 2016

2 Poems by Dane Cobain

Shooting Pikachu in its smug little face

It’s all overwhelming
and life is a thing
too big to think about,
which is why we walk around
with our eyes closed.

The truth of it is,
I don’t like other people;
sometimes I wish they weren’t real
so I could sit in a dark room
for days on end
with the curtains closed,
or literally just shut myself down
like a personal computer.

I remember being seventeen
and it wasn’t easy,
but I wish I’d known
it doesn’t get any easier,
like running away from home
and running back again,
when the rain starts.

And now I think
I’m like a car alarm,
when it goes off at 2 AM
and no-one cares what’s going on,
and so they bury their heads
beneath the pillows.

They’re all too busy
playing Pokemon;
let ‘em play,
it’s not like other things
are more important.

Besides,
I never liked Pikachu;
I prefer to play
with ammunition.


Cats and Dogs 

Cats and dogs get stressed
my friend
you’re not the only one.

There are fireworks
on the Fourth of July
or men with strange scents,
smells like leather
as they slide your post
through the letterbox.

Sometimes they’re afraid
of the wind and rain,
and sometimes they bark
in the night-time.

Sometimes they break the peace
with a growl and a kiss,
purring, “Please, Mr. Food Man,
let meowt again.”

Sometimes they stretch
with their paws on their heads,
following yoga steps
like a downward-facing dog.

Sometimes they’re scared
when the light goes out;
it’s a primal thing
that we still feel
in the evening.

Cats and dogs get stressed
my friend
but not as much as goldfish;
they remember six seconds
and forget themselves,
then get themselves stressed
all over again;
it’s no surprise
you want to be
a lion.


Bionote

Dane Cobain (High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, UK) is an independent poet, musician and storyteller with a passion for language and learning. When he’s not in front of a screen writing stories and poetry, he can be found working on his book review blog or developing his website, www.danecobain.com . His first collection of poetry, Eyes Like Lighthouses When the Boats Come Home , was released by Booktrope Editions in March of 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment