Sunday 5 May 2024

2 Poems by Lynn White


The Last Leaf

It’s been raining again,
the clouds breaking,
fracturing,
letting it all pour out.
And as I watch
it drip
my heart is
bleeding
like the rain
from the last leaf.

First published in Whispers and Echoes, October 31 2022


A Rose For Gaza

Gaza is a garden full of roses.
Stone roses.
Rock roses.
No petals to crush and bruise
to release their fragrance.
Only dust.
Dust and the stench
of death.
No green space left.
No sweet tranquility,
peace or quiet.
No escape.
No garden of Eden here.
No gateway to paradise.
Rubble and rock roses.

So I shall plant a rose for Gaza
in my green space,
in my tranquil garden.
I won’t bruise it,
just gently sniff its fragrance
and hope that one day
fragrant roses will bloom again
in the garden of Gaza.

What else can I do?

First published by Poets Haven, Vending Machine in Poetry for Change Anthology 2014


Bionote

Lynn White lives in north Wales. Her work is influenced by issues of social justice and events, places and people she has known or imagined. She was shortlisted in the Theatre Cloud 'War Poetry for Today' competition and has been nominated for a Pushcart Prize, Best of the Net and a Rhysling Award. Find Lynn at: https://lynnwhitepoetry.blogspot.com and https://www.facebook.com/Lynn-White-Poetry-1603675983213077/

No comments:

Post a Comment